I left my house in the middle of the day today and as soon as I stepped outside, I started coughing like I had asthma because of all the ash in the air.
I finally got my letters of rec from my professor! That's two down, one to go. The last is from my boss at work and he'll have them ready by tomorrow. My boss said I could come to work today to look at the draft. When I came, I had to wait outside, since I'm locked out, and while waiting, I was talking with one of the picketers who happens to be the fifth manager, but is part of the union so he is also locked out. He told me that I can collect unemployment checks during this time!!!!! I was surely shocked and thought he was kidding because technically, I am still employed, just locked out. However, he assured me it was true and that some of my fellow employees have already been approved. I simply have to call the number or apply online. Not only will I be paid for all the days I am off work, but they will reimburse me for the past two weeks in which I haven't been able to work. And though I intially felt that I did not want to sponge off of the government, my coworker informed me that the money is entitled to me because where it comes from is the weekly tax deductions that come out of my checks. SO, tomorrow I'm going to the unemployment office... wherever that is. =)
It's okay, Lisa, if you want to cross the picket line. I'd surely like to go back to work someday soon, but I understand that Albertson's has better prices and all. I really don't even know if it makes a difference. I've been hearing a lot of different stuff. A few days ago I heard there was supposed to have been a press conference last week, and then today I heard there will be one next week. Some are even saying it might end next week, but who knows. I originally heard it would only last 2-3 days because the feds were going to get involved, and now it's been 17 days. And plus, now the feds and all are concernced with the huges fires, which BTW, I do think is more important that our petty union war. Alas though, I wish I could go back to work. These past two weeks of relaxation have been fabulous, but after laying around and having absolutely nothing to do, I realize that I most certainly cannot be a housewife because I would be bored out of my mind and probably have an affair with like, the mailman or poolboy.
SF was a lot of fun the first day. I'd never travelled alone before, so it was kinda scary at first, but definitely a rich experience. Now I know I can make it up there alone if I get the chance. *cross fingers* I took buses and streetcars and cable cars everywhere, as well as did a whole lotta walking. I can't remember the last time I did so much walking. Interestly enough, there is a very ecletic bunch of people in SF. I never noticed that before because I've always travelled there before in a car, but this time I had the opportunity to witness and interact with them because of all the walking. I went to Golden Gate Park, and I've been there before, but this time I went through a different entrance and found that lots of homeless people reside there. However, it was certainly nice to enjoy some peacefulness at a quiet part of the park. Afterwards, I did some shopping at the oh-so-cool shops and had dinner at fisherman's wharf. The guy at the place I bought my dinner asked if I wanted beer. I thought it was cool he assumed I was old enough to drink beer. *AHEM: 31 days guys!!!*
The next day was pretty hectic. I had to wake up early to make it to the UCSF info session day. I almost missed my bus because I couldn't find the attendant to the hotel. I had to drop my key off and lug my bag to the session and stash it under my chair. The session was certainly informative, but because it ran over, I missed my bus, thus missed my shuttle, thus missed my plan, thus my boat!!! Albert, I hope you had fun watching the show in my seat and eating my salmon and cheesecake. Although I was totally bummed to have missed the boat shindig, it was cool to see mokroo, especially since I didn't think I was going to be seeing them this past weekend. Next week I propose tennis, although Lisa says she will be out so we'll have to improvise on the place for after-tennis chillaxin'.
So Kress, why was Monday a good day? Kids were behaving?
Rodel, study hard.
Albert, you study hard too.
Lisa, hope the bigger class won't eat you alive.
Pat, you were on the boat too!
And P.S. Mraz tickets are $26, so that's what you guys owe me with the exception of the Taco who owes me more for also the Maroon 5 tickets... and I don't know what that number is now so don't ask me. Also, I still need to give Lisa for the next Maroon 5 tickets as well as my share of Justin's gift, so I'm actually in deficit and I actually owe her. Night all, and remember, 31 days!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.