Monday, January 07, 2013

Goals.

Most of my goals this year are the same as any other year that I've been alive.

1. Spend time with friends and family (and pets now too)
2. Travel
3. Stay healthy
4. Do the things that make me happy (photography, cooking, music here and there)
5. Try to do a good job at whatever it is that I'm doing

My three new goals to add to the list are:

1. Learn to cook more Vietnamese food (especially from my mom)
2. Participate in some sort of philanthropic endeavor (tutoring, volunteering, etc...)
3. More camping

I've included a picture of a Banh Xeo, I hope to make one as crackly and crunchy one day.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would like to cook more Vietnamese food too but when I ask my mom, she never has recipes - it's always "a little of this, a little of that..."

I try to watch her but she just eyeballs everything & something tells me I'll have to make it 100 times before I can get it right.

The Taco said...

My mom is the pretty similar. She eyeballs everything. Although in this case, I did manage to get ballpark estimates of ingredients.

Here's the recipe for the curious.

Batter
1.5 cups rice flour
0.5 cups of frying powder (it's the kind used to coat shrimp for frying, kinda like tempura), 2 cups of water
2-3 teaspoons of turmeric

You'll also need peeled shrimp, bean sprouts, sliced beef, and green onions.

Mix the batter ingredients well and let it sit for 2 hours or more. Use high heat and some vegetable oil and a small frying pan. Once the oil is hot, add sliced onions and strips of beef. Ladle the batter into the pan in a thin and even layer and move the pan around so the coating is even, and shrimp and green onions and allow it to fry for two minutes. After two minutes, toss bean sprouts on and place a lid over the pan and allow the batter to cook all the way through, which should take about 3-4 minutes. Remove the lid and pour oil down the sides of the pan and allow it to get under the banh xeo. Let it cook until it gets crunchy and lightly browned. You should hear the sound of oil crackling, "xeo xeo", which is where this dish gets its name from. Fold it in half like you would an omelette right before it finishes so excess oil drips off and serve immediately with fresh lettuce greens and nuoc mam.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.