Monday, September 25, 2006

Music, Pastrami, & School

It seems like there has been quite a preponderance of musical news lately. So here is my contribution.. Friday night Tara and I went to the Andrew Bird concert at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco. We managed to find spots right up front so there was only one row of people between us and the stage and fortunately they were all short girls =) So what was weird was the crowd. This had to have been one of the best crowds in terms of not pissing me off that I've ever seen. No one spilled a drop of anything anywhere near me, no bottles or plastic cups on the ground, no obnoxious talking during the show, no pushing and shoving, no loud singing along, and no one tried to move in front of us.... the only things I could even possibly complain about was a couple of flash photos taken and one girl who would roll R's loudly instead of the normal applauding and cheering. Unbelievably tame crowd. There was even one person knitting and watching the show... KNITTING FOR CHRIST'S SAKE! As for the actual music... Andrew Bird is something else. I don't want to say he's great or good or talented... it's a waste of words. I just really recommend you go see him the next time he's in town, because that's what I'll be doing. It was only him and a drummer and yet the music still managed to be lush. He plays the guitar, the violin, the xylophone, and whistles and sings... and it all just comes together. He performed some new songs as well so that was quite nice. I'll probably go out and buy the current album and the new one when I have time. One of the songs was about a scientist who tried to study why kids are mean to one another. It's nice to hear the words mitosis and osmosis being used in a song even if they're not used according to definition. Good times. Although my ankles felt like they were becoming cankles by the time the show was over..... Maybe I'll get dinner tickets next time so I can get seating? Then again, maybe not =)

What made the night even better was the dinner before the show. Remember Tommy's Joynt? Yup, I got the pastrami this time. So good, I want to go back.... I'm sure you hear the call of the pastrami as well Pat O_O! Had a drink at the bar too....

There is one problem with going to concerts in SF though. If you take the metro to get there you better keep track of the time. Tara and I managed to get on the last train for the night that headed back to Berkeley. So we were quite lucky the show ended when it did.

In other news, class has started again and I'm sticking firm to my plan to avoid using my car. Tuition has gone up as well, sigh. I have classes everyday except tuesday so I might look into finding a fun class to fill that gap. Hopefully all of you are having an interesting time with school as well. Anyway, off to run errands and take care of business.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

wow albert...sounds like it was a good time. i liked san francisco a lot when we went...i want to go again & hit the museums, the bridge, alcatraz, etc.

do you know the name of that song about the scientist?

The Taco said...

The song is called "capital I" and he recently re-wrote the lyrics for it I believe. So you won't find it with the new chorus just yet but I have the original song, (it was rewritten because it was inspired by a Sesame Street song of the same name and it has the same chorus and also why it was never released in it's entirety). I think the version I heard with the rewritten lyrics may be released in the future though.

I think I'll be heading back to Tommy's Joint this upcoming weekend O_O

Yes, that was a lot of fun. We should go again and take in some of the sites. Alcatraz especially.

Chickencrazy said...

andrew bird...so nice =) i dont' know about the knitting...hahahha...good times =). Glad to hear things have been going well albert...we miss you guys =) keep studying hard! =)

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.